Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Simple meal plans: Follow the Book #2

Sweet Potato Black Bean burritos were next up from Simply in Season.  The hardest thing about this recipe is peeling the sweet potatoes.  Not a job I particularly enjoy, but a good peeler makes it go faster, for sure.  Or you can ask the company who offers to help to do the job while you chop the onions.  That works, too.

I enjoyed these burritos.  I love sweet potatoes.  I love black beans.  I must say, however, that this recipe lacked a certain "umph."  The burritos were tasty, but just a little dull.  I was thinking that some jalapenos or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (do chipotle peppers come any other way?) would jazz them up a bit.  I am a big fan of jazzy food. 

Soooo, I am linking to a recipe adapted from another of my favorite cookbooks, the Moosefood Low Fat Cookbook, because I think it sounds a little more like what I was hoping the SIS recipe would be.  Here's their version of Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos.

Also, I did use some enchilada sauce on top with a bit of sharp cheddar melted over it.  We ate these with our most favorite in the world kale salad, which I think I could happily eat every day.

Next up:  Red Taters and Green Grannies

3 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Beth, Our Chick Pea burgers were the same way. Good, but lacking --- something. I think it was homemade pickles, David thought they needed more texture. I wonder how a good fruit salsa (mango or peach) would be in those burritos?

Erin said...

I have found that many of the recipes I try from that book are a good base, but lacking "zip" or "jazz" or "oomph"... something.

So I usually add something while making it the first time. :) I'm a little impatient that way! ;)

Regardless, these burritos sound yummy. Maybe we'll have them this week!

beth said...

That's good to know about SIS, Erin. I'll keep that in mind as I work through the recipes.

Amber, homemade pickles make anything better! And yes, a zippy salsa would have enlivened our burritos.