Thursday, January 27, 2011

Simple meal plans: Follow the Book

I used to be sooo good about making meal plans.  When you have six little ones around all the time, it's a must.  These days, I have only one "little" one around (who is bigger than me),  so I have gotten rather lazy about planning.  I can get away with it for awhile, but there are drawbacks to not planning.

When I don't plan, I spend more.

When I don't plan, we eat boring left-overs more often.

When I don't plan, our meals are not as balanced, interesting, colorful, or healthy.

Soooo, I'm back to planning, but truth to tell, I don't really want to spend that much time doing it.  So, I am simplifying by choosing one cookbook and working my way through it. 
 

That's the cookbook.  It was a Christmas gift from Kandyce and Jonathan.  Thanks, you two.


I love eating seasonally.  I love simple, healthy food.  So this book is perfect for now.

Tonight we ate Maple Parsnip Soup. I wondered if the recipe might be a little odd, but since I'm game when it comes to interesting flavor combinations, I was eager to give it a try.  The result - a delicious ivory colored soup with flecks of nutmeg.  Dijon mustard was a perfect flavor balance to the sweetness of the maple syrup in the soup.  We topped it with pecans toasted in rosemary olive oil.  You can find the recipe here, but note, I disagree with this blogger who didn't like the texture.  I loved it.  Smooth and creamy.  Perfect.


We served the soup with a raw spinach salad tossed with balsamic vinegar and a bit of sea salt and pepper, topped with roasted butternut squash and craisins.  That was the colorful part of the meal.

Next Simply in Season meal up:  Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos

2 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure I can get it to go over very well over here! The burritos might, though. I have been back to planning my self. I was surprised at how much less I spent in the store when I wasn't just stocking the pantry. This week my experiment was Chick Pea burgers. They were a success! I'll have to check this book out - it sounds delicious.

tonia said...

I have that cookbook, but I haven't made a lot from it. I'm glad you are going through it for me. :) I love the quotes sprinkled throughout.