Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Muff! Muff!

Clara has turned into a muffin fiend! She loves muffins and asks for them every day. It started a few weeks ago when we had lots of bananas and made banana muffins.

When they were gone she kept asking for them, so we made up some pumpkin/carrot muffins with lots of flax seed. We finished those last Tuesday. Last Thursday, she was asking for muffins (muff!) and pointing to the cabinet where they usually live. So I said, "They are all gone (insert lip quivering, tears forming in the corners of her eyes...), but we can make more! Would you like to help Mama make more?" Instant excitement! This kid loves to cook. "Ape-eee! Ape-eee!" (translates: apron)

Getting the tins ready.

My fridge and cupboards were getting a little bare. I was holding out on grocery shopping until Saturday when I'd be in town anyway so I wouldn't have to drive there twice. So, again, we made up our own recipe. Ohhh, my. I don't know why I've always been wary of doing this with quick breads. I rarely use recipes when cooking anything else. I guess I've never felt sure enough about leavening and the wet to dry ratio to feel confident winging it, but today we did (after I glanced at a couple recipes for ideas) and these new "muffs" are sooo delicious! So if you've ever been afraid of disregarding a recipe and throwing in whatever you feel like, don't! Be creative and enjoy the results!

Inspecting the batter.

Here's what we did, using up bits and pieces of what I had in the house:

Mix in a bowl:
1 c white whole wheat flour
1/2 c ground oats (I grind them in my food processor and keep them on hand for adding to bread, pancakes, making PB balls with etc.)
1/2 c ground flax seeds (these I buy whole and grind in a coffee grinder)
1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c untoasted wheat germ
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
a couple shakes of ginger

Add and stir to coat:
2 large carrots, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 c walnuts - toasted and pulsed in food processor until fine (Clara can't have chunks of nuts yet, too choke-y)
1/4 c raisins, chopped into small pieces

Mix in another bowl (or a liquid measuring cup if, like me, you try to use as few dishes as possible while baking):
1/2 c yogurt
1/4 c each oil, applesauce, honey and brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten

Add to dry ingredients, mix together and spoon into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until done (I didn't really keep track). Makes 1 dozen regular muffins and 1 dozen mini muffins.





She loved them! They smelled amazing while they were baking (I think a large part of that was due to the walnut meal getting all toasty) and didn't disappoint when they came out. I think creative muffins will definitely be a regular in our house from now on.

No comments: