Thursday, September 29, 2011

Stocking the Shelves

Last year I canned somewhere around 18 quarts of applesauce over the fall and winter and a little apple butter and cranberry sauce for Christmas gifts. This year, I went a little crazy.

I started out with rhubarb marmalade: 6 half pints and 2 4oz jars (not the best picture, sorry!)



Then I moved on to strawberry jam: again, 6 half pints, 2 4 oz jars



Blueberry jam next: (shall we say it in unison?) 6 half pints and 2 4 oz jars



Along with blueberry butter: 4 4 oz jars



and blueberry-rhubarb jam: 4 half pints




Then, there were the savory endeavors.

Sweet relish (on the left) and gingered sweet relish (on the right): 4 pints each



Bread & butter pickles: 7 pints



Garlic dill pickles: 8 pints



Aren't they pretty?



Tomatoes! Sweet...
Spicy Tomato Jam: 2 half pints, 11 4 oz jars



Tomato Marmalade: 6 half pints, 4 4oz jars



...and savory.
Tomato Puree and Salsa (pictures to come)


I have over 40 lbs of tomatoes sitting on my counter right now, waiting to be made into more puree and some ketchup. But I've also moved into apples, my first love. Last weekend produced:
Applesauce (12 quarts - actually 14, but two were given to friends without canning them)


It has been so much fun and I am completely addicted to canning! But now I'm saving up for a new stove, since the weight of my full canner has been wreaking havoc on my poor electric burner and even the stove top itself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should give us a tutorial on canning! What equipment is good, what's the basic instructions, tips? I would love to know, I have never dabbled in canning, but would love to once we have a house and a larger garden!

GretchenJoanna said...

This is such a glorious show - I can see why you would get addicted. Did you get that new stove?