Friday, September 30, 2011

Canning Diced Tomates

Canned diced tomatoes are a staple of my fall and winter cooking. I use them a lot in chilis, soups and casseroles. I usually buy them from the store. But with 50 lbs of tomatoes sitting on my counter, I decided I had to try at least a few jars myself.



I looked for information online and had a hard time finding good guidelines. There are guidelines for crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, halved tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato juice, but nary a word on diced tomatoes from the "official" websites I visited. I found a few blog posts on diced tomatoes but none of them seemed to follow best practices in regards to acidification.



So, here's what I did, based on my research and reading. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the process as I was trying to get it done relatively quickly this morning before Luke had to leave to shoe horses. I will say two things: it is more involved than making sauce but it is not as hard as I thought it would be. I was dreading the blanching and skinning and really, they went super fast and weren't bad at all. Messy, yes but hard or complicated, no. So, here you go.

1) Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Prepare another large bowl 2/3 full of ice water (have extra ice on hand to add to this bowl as you go). Make a small X on the bottom of your tomatoes. Once your water is boiling hard, add 3 tomatoes and blanch for about a minute. Move them to the bowl of ice water to cool (large salad tongs work great for this). Peel and discard the skins, which should slide off easily. Continue until all your tomatoes are peeled.

2) Core and dice your tomatoes. You can do a fairly large dice, as they will break down some as they heat up. This is also a good time to get your canner and lids heating and your jars sterilizing.

3) Put roughly 1/6th of your diced tomatoes into a large stock pot and crush them with a potato masher or large spoon to exude juice. Quickly bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining tomatoes, stirring them in as you go. Bring the whole pot to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil gently for 5 minutes.

4) Acidify your jars. Tomatoes are right on the line for water bath canning so you must add either bottled lemon juice (because it has consistent acidity, unlike fresh lemon juice) or citric acid. Use 1 T lemon juice per pint, 2 T per quart. Ladle hot tomatoes into hot jars. I found it worked well to use a slotted spoon and fill my jars most of the way with the diced tomatoes, then pour in the juice to cover them. Add enough juice to leave 1/2 inch head space.

5) Run a plastic or wooden utensil (I use a chopstick - the end of a wooden spoon works well too) around the sides of your jars to remove air bubbles and then recheck head space; add or remove a little juice as necessary. Wipe rims with a clean, damp cloth and apply heated lids. Screw rings on until they are fingertip tight and return your jars to the canner. Make sure they are covered by a minimum 1 inch of water.

6) Process pints for 35 minutes and quarts for 40 minutes, starting the time when your canner comes up to a full boil. Remove carefully and place on a towel. Allow to rest undisturbed until completely cooled, 12 hours or overnight. Do not re-tighten lids! Once cool, check to make sure that your jars have sealed. When you press down on the lid, it should not pop up again. If any jars did not seal, put them in your refrigerator and use within a week. Label your jars and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year.

Congratulations! You're done! I did 8 wide-mouth pints (one canner load) from start to finish in about 2 hours this morning, so it's not a hugely time consuming project.



*Note: after filling my jars I had quite a bit of extra juice left in my stock pot. This may be strained through a sieve and used in any application you would use regular tomato juice. I added it to my sauce which is cooking down. It would be great for soup. It is also delicious simply to drink!

No comments: