Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Roasted Tomato and Kale Tart



Sometimes, I just have a craving for something delicious. Delectable. Something different from the usual fare.

I often have bits and pieces of different things left over in my refrigerator that need to be used up before they go bad.

Occasionally, these two "problems" collide into something special. That was the case tonight.

I had a yummy dinner scheduled for tonight, but it involved lots of chopping of vegetables which, after a long day out and about, I just was not up for. I knew I had a bag of roasted tomatoes that needed using up. What to do with them? Right away I thought of trying a tomato tart, something I've never made before. But I wanted to get some greens into our dinner and I had some kale from the garden and a bit of leftover shredded cheddar cheese to use up as well.

My craving was for something rich, creamy, a little over the top. I didn't have any fancy cheeses to spice things up, but I did have half a block of cream cheese that was starting to get old.



So, this tart was born (okay, so I actually baked it in a pie plate. But "tart" sounds so much better, and next time I will actually bake it as a tart. Because you can be sure there will be a next time.). Let me tell you, it was everything I wanted and more. The humble ingredients combined into something much greater than the sum of its parts. This dish was creamy, crunchy, tangy, sweet, savory - it fit the bill perfectly. Luke thought it would be absolutely irresistible with some spicy italian sausage mixed in, so you may want to try that. But he agreed that it was absolutely delicious as is.

Warning: since I was using things leftover in my kitchen, I have no idea on the amounts. Just use what you have! 



Roasted Tomato and Kale Tart

1 tart shell (I made one with white whole wheat flour, an egg, a little water and coconut oil because I was out of butter. I think the whole wheat adds such a nice depth of flavor, but use whatever you prefer.)
roasted tomatoes
half an onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
a small bunch kale, chopped small
balsamic vinegar
4 oz cream cheese
grated cheddar cheese
grated parmesan cheese

Bake your tart shell until about half-done. While it's baking, set the cream cheese on the oven to soften. Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until soft and golden. Add kale and saute until bright green; drizzle in a little balsamic vinegar, lower the heat and continue cooking until kale is soft.

Take the tart shell out of the oven and spread the cream cheese over the bottom. Spread the kale-onion mixture on top. Sprinkle with grated cheddar. You don't want tons, or the cheddar will overwhelm the other flavors. Just enough to barely cover the kale. Arrange the roasted tomatoes on top in a circular pattern. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.

Cook in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes, until crust is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting. Take a bite and swoon at the deliciousness!

No comments: