Monday, November 15, 2010

Incredible Hulk Super Soup!

Tonight for dinner we had Super Soup! I had half a bunch of kale in the fridge that had partially been used for Raw Kale Salad last week and the rest needed to be used up, but wasn't crisp enough for another raw dish. Plus, I wanted Clara to get some kale. She did eat a couple pieces of the raw stuff when combined with dried cranberries on a fork, but didn't exactly scarf it down. This afternoon was rainy so it was a perfect evening for some yummy soup.

I combined a recipe for Potato Kale Soup from my newest cookbook, Simply in Season (thanks K&J!), with a recipe for Creamy Kale Soup that I found through Google. Like my mom, I rarely measure accurately when cooking - "I just" (as she says) throw things together. Here's a rough approximation of what I "threw" in the kitchen this evening:

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium red potatoes, chopped small
Green lentils (maybe 1/3 c or so?)
Quinoa (maybe 1/4 c? remember to rinse well first!)
1 chicken boullion cube

1/2 bunch kale, chopped and stems removed

Water
Milk
Tahini (about 2 T)
Parmesan

I sauteed the onion and garlic in a little oil, then added the potatoes, lentils and quinoa, stirred them around a bit to toast, poured in enough water to just cover, added the boullion and left that pot to simmer. Meanwhile, I chopped the kale and steamed it in a separate pot (a tip from SIS - their recipe said if you cook the kale and potatoes together, the kale flavor will be too strong). Once everything was fairly soft I added the kale to the potato mixture and then pureed the soup in my blender in two batches. (A tip from a demo I saw this weekend - when blending hot soup, crack open the small plastic cap on your blender or else you will have an explosion!) I added some extra water to the first batch and some milk to the second batch to make them smooth enough to puree.

Once it was all blended I heated it briefly in the pot and added some tahini, a little salt, garlic powder and freshly grated parmesan. We ate it topped with a little more parmesan and fresh bread. Delicious and so good for you with the kale, quinoa and lentils! Luke dubbed it, "The Incredible Hulk Super Soup" due to its brilliant green color. If I had looked back at the Creamy Kale Soupe recipe I would have added a dash of curry powder for a little kick, but we liked it the way it was and Clara gobbled it up. She's really into dipping right now and this was great for dipping fresh bread. Mmmm...

3 comments:

kkp said...

so glad you love the cookbook! :)

we just made butternut sage orzo and the recipe for tagine, and they were both DELICIOUS.

Erin said...

Oh, I was wondering about the butternut orzo. I'll have to try that soon! I might do it with rice or barley instead of orzo though, do you think that would work?

beth said...

That sounds REALLY good, as does buttermilk sage orzo. Recipe?? Please.