Thursday, December 2, 2010

Very easy pumpkin soup

I was cold last night.  I had a hankering for a warm, spicy, comforting soup.  I looked to see what I had in the pantry and fridge and then made up this recipe as I went along.  It was exactly what I wanted, very, very easy, and enjoyed by all!

2 onions, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 large Granny Smith apple, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons Patak Curry Paste (I use hot)
1 large can pumpkin (29 oz. size)
1 can coconut milk (15.5 oz size)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/2 cups apple juice
water
salt to taste

In a large Dutch oven (or whatever you cook soup in) saute the onions and pepper in the butter til soft.  Add the curry paste and the apple.  Then add the pumpkin and coconut milk.  Dissolve the bouillon cube in boiling water and add.  Then add apple juice.  Stir it all together over medium heat.  If it seems too thick, add a bit more water til it's the consistency you like.  (I added another cup and a half or so of water).  Add salt to taste.  Simmer for 15 minutes or so.  Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and toasted almonds on top, if desired.

We ate this with toasted sourdough bread.  This recipe served five generously and we had leftovers for lunch today.

Yum.  Delicious.  Comfort.

No comments: