Thursday, January 29, 2009

Golden butternut soup and sweet potato biscuits

As I said over there, I concocted this soup. I looked in the fridge and saw a plastic container with leftover roasted butternut squash, a ziploc with three cooked sweet potatos, and a pot with homemade chicken stock. Seemed the the makings of a good soup to me...which I have decided to call:

Golden butternut soup
Saute in 2 TBSP olive oil:
1 medium onion, diced
1 yellow sweet pepper, chopped

When the veggies are soft, add 2 TBSP. fresh rosemary leaves, let this all simmer gently while you...

Puree:
the *cooked butternut squash and the sweet potatoes together with enough stock to make it all whiz around in the blender. (I just add enough liquid til it blends easily without making my blender seem like it's laboring too hard).

Add the puree to the saute. And then add more stock (I probably used about a quart total).
Stir over medium heat and add a can of evaporated milk (this makes it really creamy and lovely) and about a cup of sharp cheddar cheese.

Now here's the fun part. I thought this soup needed just a little more kick and I had a jar of pickled jalapeno's in the fridge. So, I poured about a quarter cup of the jalapeno juice from the far in the soup. Nice addition.

We ate with a dollop of sour cream. It would also be good with a little feta sprinkled on top and perhaps some toasted almonds....next time.

Sweet potato biscuits
I have used the same biscuit recipe for years. It is based on the basic biscuit recipe in Joy of Cooking. This is my sweet potato adaptation:

Sift together with a fork:
3 1/2 cups flour
6 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 TBSP sugar

Cut in with a pastry cutter:
6 TBSP butter
When the butter pieces are about pea sized, I added a whole baked sweet potato and cut it in just like I did the butter. When this is all well blended together...

Add:
1 cup milk

Mix lightly til moistened all through. Flour the counter and roll out the dough. A light touch means lighter biscuits. Cut with a biscuit cutter and place right next to each other (no spaces between) on and ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.

We ate these with apple cranberry butter and/or pear preserves. Very tasty!

Sorry I have no pictures of this golden meal. It disappeared too fast.

_______________________
* to cook butternut squash, just cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Bake at 350, cut side down with a little water in an oven proof dish, for 30-45 minutes til soft. Cook time will depend on size of squash. You can also cut in 1/2 inch slices and roast on a cooking sheet sprayed with a little cooking spray. Roast at 40 for about 15 minutes (maybe a bit more) til soft.

1 comment:

kkp said...

i think i'd be a fat kid if lived any closer to your house. :)