Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chick pea soup

I had about 7 cups of cooked chick peas in the fridge yesterday that needed to be eaten before they went bad. I hate it when I do that...cook extra and then forget about them til I smell that horrible stench in the fridge - such a waste. Anyway, yesterday, I remembered, so we had a wonderful chick pea soup for dinner.

Here's the "recipe:"

Saute together:
1 large onion
a red sweet pepper
a green pepper

Add the chick peas (I used all 7 cups)

Add two cans of tomatoes, the juice of two lemons, and water to cover plus a bit more

And now for the good part - herbs from the garden:
leaves from three four inch springs of fresh rosemary
a few stems of fresh cilantro (still a little in the garden)
a few snippings of fresh bronze fennel

a little salt and pepper to taste

This was a colorful and delicious soup. The boys tried adding salsa which was tasty, but the soup was just fine without the salsa. We ate it with carrot raisin salad and leftover biscuits. Very satisfying.

No comments: