Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day Food

Erin said I should post about the salads I made for Father's Day.  Sorry, no food photos, just a run-down of what I made:

Honey Mustard Potato Salad

I steamed a great big bag of gourmet white potatoes.  They were smallish, but I cut some of them in half so they'd steam a little faster.  After steaming, I sprinkled them with kosher salt and a few twists of fresh pepper.  Then I mixed up a dressing with plain old yellow mustard (it's all I had on hand), a generous squirt of honey, a bit of olive oil and a few splashes of balsamic vinegar.  Then I poured all the dressing over the warm potatoes and let them marinate overnight.  Oh, yea...I also chopped a sweet red pepper and put that in the salad along with a couple of chopped hard boiled eggs and a bit of chopped parsley.  This salad just got better with time. 

Pasta Salad

I'm sure you all have your own variations on pasta salad.  This one had whole wheat rotini, a jar of marinated artichoke hearts, a bunch of sliced black and Spanish olives, a chopped sweet pepper, and some cut up pepperoni.  I only added a little oil and vinegar since the artichoke heart marinade was pretty flavorful.

Avocado Salad

Three ripe avocados, two chopped Roma tomatoes, a little lemon juice.  That's all.

Broccoli Salad

Here.  I left out the bacon.

These salads were served with some lovely sourdough bread, toasted and spread with butter. Everyone was very happy.  And that was even before the blackberry tart.

Truly, I could eat like this every day.

No comments: