Saturday, September 26, 2009

No curry, cobbler instead

Sorry, the curry didn't happen today. I sat at my desk editing a paper all afternoon and then just had time to make some raspberry bars (from a box - it works in a pinch) and a berry cobbler (from scratch) before heading out the door to a church gathering tonight. I've made the cobbler recipe so many times it I have it memorized.

Easy, easy fruit cobbler

Fill a pie pan with fruit. My favorite is berries - a mix of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I buy them frozen in a bag. They work just fine. Sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon are also good. Sometimes I even mix apples and berries.

Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, and a pinch of salt. This will be crumbly. That's ok. Spread it over the fruit in the pie pan.

Then melt 1 stick of butter. Pour that over the top of everything. Bake it all at 350 for about 30 minutes or til the topping is golden brown.

This is perfect with vanilla ice cream. I like left-overs for breakfast. Yes, breakfast. I always remember that Almanzo in Farmer Boy (Laura Ingalls Wilder) ate apple pie for breakfast, so I figure I can eat berry cobbler. Yes? Yes!

No comments: