Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tilapia two - no three - ways

Here, for Kathie, are my tilapia ideas. Enjoy!

Pesto Tilapia

My favorite way to prepare tilapia is with pesto. This is sooo very easy if you have plenty of fresh basil around - which I always do in the summer. Not sure I could go through the summer without plenty in my garden.

First you have to make pesto. I don't have my recipe written down anywhere. I've made it so many times, I just do it by feel. Basil, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese in the food processor. You can jazz it up with pine nuts or walnuts but I usually do it without nuts. Whiz it around and you've got the most wonderful, green, delicious substance the summer has to offer. Anyway, if you need a recipe, here's one you can use. It's close to what I do. Just remember, the pine nuts are not absolutely necessary.

Once you've made your pesto, simply spray a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray or coat with a little olive oil, lay the tilapia filets in it and spread pesto generously over the fish. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. That's it.

Tilapia in Coconut Milk
This second way of preparing tilapia is equally as easy and just about as delicious. I got this recipe idea from my friend, Lori, and I claim no credit for coming up with this delicious way to prepare tilapia.

Once again, spread your tilapia filets in a 9 x 13 inch pan (no greasing the pan necessary on this one). Pour a whole can of coconut milk over the tilapia. Add a few thinly sliced pieces of fresh ginger, a sprinkling of fresh cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. And then enjoy!

We like both of these tilapia dishes served over rice with the pan juices drizzled over the rice. Oh, so good.

Both are good with a simple green salad or an Asian style slaw with thinly sliced napa cabbage and red, yellow and green sweet pepper strips with a dressing of a little vinegar, a tad of sugar, and a few dashes of hot chili sesame oil (if you don't like it so spicy, use regular sesame oil). Toss it all together, sprinkle a few cashews on top and refrigerate til ready to serve.

One more tilapia idea
I have written before about how much I love Lynne Rosetto Casper and her radio cooking show. I now receive her email newsletter and every time I read it, I want to try her recipes. The last newsletter included an idea for a very simple way to prepare fish. I think I'll try it next time I do tilapia. Here's a link to her current newsletter with Sicilian Sweet-Sour Seafood Saute.

OK, it's time for dinner. Nothing nearly as exciting at our house as the tilapia dishes above tonight. Just good old mac and cheese made my mom's way which is the best. With three bean salad and fruit salad and fresh bread. Joel's been asking for mac and cheese for awhile. Happy to oblige, sweet boy.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Beth! These are awesome recipes. I am not a terribly creative cook (I live with three very picky males and they have discouraged me on more than one occasion!) But I am going to have to try, especially the pesto, these recipes ASAP. Yum. Yum.

Islandsparrow said...

That sounds delicious! Thanks for posting. My mom used to cook fish in milk and butter in the oven - so the coconut milk would be just a nice variation of that. I can hardly wait to try it. I like the salad too - I'd like to branch out with my salad making.

Thanks Beth!!

xo
Kathie