Sunday, April 19, 2009

My new favorite meal


I love this meal. I make it once a week. It is always different and always good. It is simple, delicious, nutritious, and just a bit special so it's also good for company. The meal includes homemade noodles tossed with a mix of sauteed onions, peppers, tomatoes, herbs, and some kind of bean and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Add a salad on the side and some of that good homemade bread and it's a very satisfying meal.

I thank my favorite radio cooking show host, Lynne Rosetto Kasper, once again, for a wonderful meal idea, which I, of course, tweaked. My noodle recipe comes from recipezaar. I usually double it.

Last night's noodles were half whole wheat, half white. Next time I'm going for more whole wheat.


Last night's saute included red, yellow, and green peppers, onion, fresh parsley, basil, diced tomatos and fava beans. Very delicious. I make this saute while the noodles cook, drain the noodles and then toss it all together and serve in my big white pasta bowl.

I've done it with chick peas, kidney beans, white beans and variations on the colored pepper theme. I've added garlic, oregano, basil, and parsley. I've used fresh and canned tomatoes. I've added olives, both green and black. It is always delicious. The freshly grated parmesan is so good on top - as Lynne says, it's not the same thing as that dry stuff that comes in the green plastic bottle. Sure isn't. So, if you make this meal, go for the fresh parmesan.

By the way, sherbert, grapes and other fresh fruits, or a plate of assorted dried fruits make a nice dessert to this simple meal.

Enjoy!

No comments: