Monday, June 20, 2011

Rhubarb Marmalade

My mother is a marmalade lover. I have a soft spot for it myself. So when I saw this recipe, I knew I would be making it!


Rhubarb Marmalade

6 cups rhubarb
5 cups sugar
2 medium oranges

Chop rhubarb into 1/4" chunks.

Remove any seeds from oranges and then grind in food processor (rinds and all, so wash them well first). I ground them pretty fine.

Combine rhubarb, sugar and oranges in a large pot and bring to a full, rolling boil. (When you first combine them it will not look like a mixture that will ever boil. Resist the urge to add water or other liquid. Have faith and keep stirring a little bit. Before long you'll have a lovely soupy-looking mixture.)

Reduce the heat and simmer until mixture sheets off a spoon. I actually cooked a little longer than this until my mixture was somewhat reduced and thickened. Ladle into hot jars, wipe rims, apply lids and bands and process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. Remove from canner, place on a towel on the counter and let cool undisturbed overnight. Check seals and store!

I haven't popped open any of the jars yet - I'm waiting until my homemade bread is done later tonight. I did scrape some from the pot, and it was delicious! So simple and unique.

1 comment:

beth said...

Looking forward to tasting this! I just wish I could grow rhubarb down south.