Sunday, October 31, 2010

Turkey chili

This is for my friend, Chandra, who ate this chili at our soccer team end-of-season party and requested the recipe.  Well, like much of what I cook, there's really no recipe.  This was a throw it in the crockpot and see what comes out effort.  What came out was pretty good, so I'll try and tell you what went in!  I am guessing at quantities.  I really did just start with the turkey, onions and peppers and then added tomatoes as needed.

1 package frozen ground turkey (from Aldi - not sure the weight, maybe 2 pounds)
2 -3 cans chili seasoned tomatoes
2 - 3 cans diced tomatoes
1 TBSP (or more if you want) chili powder
2 onions, diced
3 peppers (sweet red, yellow, orange or green), chopped
1 hot pepper
salt, if you need it
lemon pepper, if you like it (I do!)

Saute onions and peppers til soft.  Add spices to saute.  I do this in my 12' cast iron skillet.  Put sauteed veggies in crock pot.

In the same skillet, brown ground turkey.  Add to crock pot.

Add tomatoes to crock pot. Stir it all together.  Taste to test.  Adjust seasonings if necessary. 

Set crock pot to high.

Go read a book.

Really.  It's that easy.  This is not a gourmet recipe, but a dump and go.  I think I left it in the crock pot for a couple of hours til time to leave for the party!  On a crisp fall night, sitting by a bonfire, accompanied by lots of other goodies brought by soccer moms, it was delicious!

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Thank you so much! I'm going to try it out this week. I especially like the directive to "go read a book." That's my favorite type of recipe.