Friday, October 16, 2009

Extra healthy enchiladas



I gave the boys a choice tonight - pizza or enchiladas.  M chose enchiladas.  I decided to make them extra healthy.  Here's how:

Saute:
2 chopped onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tablespoon chili powder
a bit of lemon pepper
3-4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Add to the saute and cook on medium heat stirring often til warm through:
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 package tempeh, chopped in 1/2 inch chunks

Put a generous serving spoonful of this filling in the middle of a whole wheat tortilla.  Fold over and place in 9x13 lightly greased baking dish (I use a light spray of cooking spray).  8-10 enchiladas will fit in the pan. 

I used about a cup of salsa to spread over the top of the enchiladas and for the boys, sprinkled shredded Mexican cheese.  (I'm cutting way back on dairy so left some without cheese on top for me).

Bake at 350 til the cheese is melted - about 15 minutes so they are good and hot all the way through.

We ate these with roasted green and sweet banana peppers from the garden and a cabbage salad. 

Really, really good!

2 comments:

nicole said...

They look delish!!! Might have to try these sometime soon!!

Laura said...

yum! but, okay, at the risk of revealing my ignorance, what is tempeh?